Thursday, September 28, 2006

Because of You

Can you believe Tony Bennett just celebrated his 80th birthday .He is in fine form and singing all the way to the bank. What a sweetheart Tony is.

My hubby and I go way back with Tony. Our love song in the '50's was "Because of You" by Mr Bennett and we still get a thrill when we hear it sung.

Once my husband was traveling from NYC to Atlanta and he happened to be seated next to Tony Bennett in first class of Delta. For a long time into the flight, not wanting to bother Tony, my hubby did not say anything to him but a short while before the plane landed he introduced himself and told Tony Bennett about our fondness for "Because of You." Bennett could not have been more gracious and even asked the stewardess for a note pad so he could write a note to me. It said,

"Dear J
"Because of You"

Thanks for being a fan, Tony Bennett."

Tony was coming to Atlanta to sing at Chastain Park Amphitheater that night. We did not have tickets to the sold out performance but when my hubby got off the plane he made several phone calls, then one call to a friend with connections got us tickets to the concert. We went, took a bottle of champagne and some cheese and crackers,( outdoor picnic style concert) and had a glorious night under the stars listening to many old favorites and some new ones.

Then two other times we heard Tony. Once at the Fox Theater in Atlanta which was our favorite performance and not just because he sang "Because of You" that night. The acoustics at the Fox are outstanding. Mr Bennett, toward the end of the evening, had the sound engineers turn off his mike and darken the theater; then Tony stood on stage with a lone spotlight on him and sang his heart out.

We heard another Bennett concert at a dinner at Emory University Carlos Museum. He was very good but still our favorite will always be the Fox Theater performance.

So, Because of You, Mr Bennett, here's wishing you good health and many more years of song.

And oh yes:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR TONY
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.











>

11 comments:

Ginnie said...

Hi Chancey: What nice remembrances of Tony. Did you know that he is a very fine artist also? He lives a full & enriching life...I wish that more of the entertainment gang would follow his lead. Here's to being 80!

Joy Des Jardins said...

Tony is a pretty amazing guy alright. He has endured over the years like very few have. I think I most admire him for the person he is OUTSIDE of show business. Talented, gracious and kind. Happy Birthday Tony!

Chancy said...

Ginnie and Joy..I am glad you share my admiration for Tony Bennett, a real trooper.

Ginnie,yes I did know that Tony is an accomplished artist. I would dearly love to own one of his paintings but the price is probably out of sight.

Betty said...

I like him, too. His voice just seems to get better and better. He has the look of a happy man. I hope he really is.

kenju said...

How lucky you were to be able to see him in concert!

Anonymous said...

That's how I felt about Robert Goulet. First time I saw him perform was in a theatre in the round.

I still remember when he first stepped on the stage and started to sing - what a thrill that was and those beautiful blue eyes -

The opening act was Rich Little who I had never heard of before. What a show he put on.

Your lovely story about Tony got me thinking about other great performers that I have seen.

Those were the days!!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely memory. Interesting that while TB had a huge following those many years ago, other male vocalists often received more press. In the years after the others slowly left the scene, his voice quality pretty much sustained, unlike some who were not as fortunate, and he became the premiere male vocalist in his music genres.

For younger generations in those years, and now, his commerical standard song renditions are appreciated, and more importantly to me, is the quality of singing and attention he brings to jazz.

I never happened to see Tony Bennett in person, so you are, indeed, a lucky gal -- and a personal unsolicited note, too! ;-)

I think my all time favorite vocalists to see and hear in concert in separate performances were Mel Torme and Ella Fitzgerald.

Anonymous said...

I happened to catch the Canadian Idol TV show and he was the guest performer. I was pleasantly surprised at how good he looks.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Tony Bennett's singing is the best. So add my wishes for his happiest 80th.

goldenlucyd said...

Hi Dear Chancy. I'm jealous, jealous. Tony is one of my all-time favorites. How tickled you must have been to get that personal note and get tickets to the concert!
I 've been watching the TV ad featuring Elton John et al singing Happy Birthday to Tony---who looks much better than any of them. What a guy! I'm glad Ginnie told us about his art. I'm going to Google him and check that out.

SavtaDotty said...

I agree: Tony Bennett is a class act!