Sunday, April 30, 2006

Barefoot Days of Summer

Placing yesterday in a jar filled with flowers
Breathing in the scent; not counting the hours
I remember the gardens of long ago

Fields where the blue ragged robins grew
I flew my small kite; gazing into the blue
Yearning to climb on the wind to the sky.

Everywhere the wild, pink poppies thrived
The sun and the rain keeping them alive
Sharing the field with tall grasses and vines.

Years later,the wild field was replaced
A fenced boxwood garden has taken its place
Trespassing forbidden for child with a kite

KEEP OUT
CHILDHOOD OVER


by Chancy...


13 comments:

Pam in Tucson said...

Beautiful poem, lovely imagery of a free young child - sad, but so realistic ending. Sometimes I'm afraid to go back to the secret, sacred places of my childhood. I'd rather remember them as they were.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Chancy. I love it.

Chancy said...

Thanks- Pam and Claude. That field was one of my favorite childhood places places.

Tabor said...

What a lovely description. I can feel your overwhelming longing for the past. So bittersweet.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the melancholy remembrances of our childhood brought into the present with such vivid language. Thank you for letting me share the feelings with you.

goldenlucyd said...

You wrote that! I'm so jealous and so not a poet. Why on earth don't you share your stuff (poetry, I mean) more often. I love this! On the odd chance you didn't write this I still love it and want to see your poetry.
love,
lucyd

Chancy said...

Lucy I did write this and thanks.

Joy Des Jardins said...

What a wonderful poem Chancy. Reading it made me think of a similar field I used to play in as a child. Thanks so much.

kenju said...

Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

You wrote of one of my most treasured memories. I remember being up very early in the morning when the dew had everything dripping and the flowers and grasses looked so fresh.
Thanks for reminding me.

Ava South

kenju said...

Chancy, I love this poem. Wonderful imagery.

Anonymous said...

I remember days of my youth and the freedom of summer days. So sad that the fields are now a thing of the past. Beautiful words.

Merle said...

Hi Chancy ~~ A lovely poem, thanks for sharing it with us.
Your blog looks very interesting.
Cheers, Merle.