Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Plain Vanilla

How did I live 75 years without knowing this? One evening about a year ago somehow the subject of conversation turned to Vanilla and its origin.My grown son said that Vanilla comes from orchids. I said no way and don't tease me. He kept on and on so I finally went to the computer and googled "Origin of Vanilla." And lo and behold he was right.
Am I the only one around who was deficient in Vanilla knowledge or are any of you surprised too


------------------------------------------------
"Vanilla originated from an orchid plant native to Mexico called Vanilla Fragrans, also known as Vanilla planifolia. A long slender pod or bean is produced from the flower of the plant. It is picked green and undergoes a curing and drying process before being made into vanilla extract. Vanillin, a crystal-like substance produced during the curing process adds to the flavor and aroma of the extract..
One Internet source mentioned that the explorer Cortez of Spain discovered the vanilla bean in Mexico and brought it back to Spain. Its use spread throughout Europe from there. In 1873 the vanilla plant was introduced to Madagascar. Madagascar and Indonesia are now the world’s leading producers of vanilla beans.Pure vanilla extract is produced when the vanilla bean pods and seeds are chopped and soaked in alcohol. Time enhances the flavor and aroma of pure vanilla extract. "------------------------------------------

I love Vanilla, that and Cinnamon are two of my favorite flavorings.

Cinnamon toast with butter, Vanilla in homemade banana pudding. etc etc Yum Yum.

5 comments:

Joy Des Jardins said...

Add me to your list Chancy. I had no idea vanilla came from orchids. Surprise! You learn something new all the time, don't you?

Anonymous said...

I was convinced it came from a plant from the West Indies. Probably called "vanilla" or something! ;)
I learnt something today. I love vanilla flavoured things.

Chancy said...

Thanks Joy, Milt and Claude. I am fixing** to make myself a piece of cinnamon toast and put a whiff of "Vanilla" behind my ears so I will smell good. :))

** "Fixing to" means "going to" in Southernese

Anonymous said...

I knew there was a vanilla bean, but didn't realize the bean pod came from an orchid. Wonder if it's amenable to house plant growing just for fun?

Agree with you about cinnamon. Reminds me that I put a cinnamon mixture to heat in the oven at our Ariz. home a short time before our open house for real estate agents. My what a delicious aroma wafted through the house to greet them.

Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»