Recently I have been reminiscing about my childhood. I think this was spurred by a movie video I bought at our library branch's book sale. "Bright Eyes " with Shirley Temple, filmed in 1934.
I bought it so the grandchildren could watch it when they come over. The littlest one,M,who is 9, reminds me of Shirley Temple. Same blonde curls and dimpled smile. I love and adore M but when I was little I detested Shirley Temple. My hair was brown, stick straight, and cut in a Buster Brown hair style with bangs. I always wanted Shirley's curls. I wished and wished for blonde curls.
Once when I was about 6 the merchants in Athens had a "Shirley Temple look alike contest on the stage of the Palace Theater. My mother "curled" my hair with a curling iron and topped my "curls" off with a bow ribbon.I competed and lost. A tiny 3 year old girl with "stick straight brown hair" won the prize which was a new outfit.
Not long after that, my mother let her beauty parlor talk her into bringing me in for a "Permanent Wave." Now don't think of rollers, end papers and a solution. That is a "cold wave" and had not been invented yet. Think of a machine with wires and clamps,resembling an electric chair or some invader from outer space with tentacles. The wires and clamps were attached to my head-hair and the juice was turned on. I remember the smell of sizzling hair.
Boy, was I scared. Finally the ordeal was over. When I looked in the mirror I started crying. My hair had turned into a frizzy, scary steel wool mess.
I managed to "live" until I had enough haircuts to get rid of the mess. I never had another perm until the "Toni Home Perms" (cold wave) came out and my girlfriends and I curled each other's hair.
Now, after all these years, my hair has decided to curl on its own. I suppose it is the texture of the grey hair that lives underneath all the sandy blond "Miss Clairol" I get now at the beauty salon.
Wait long enough and wishes can come true......:)
PS: This Thursday I have an appointment for a "body wave" which is what they call perms now. This is the first perm I have had in about 5 years or so. It is not that I am still desperate for curls at my "advanced age." My hair,especially on top has thinned and will do nothing but lay flat.
Wish me luck.:)
2 comments:
That a great story, Chancy - I love the mental picture of a little girl being wired into the electric curling machine. I wouldn't know what it looks like except that a few years ago, I saw a photo of women in China getting their hair curled that way...
Thanks Ronni. Isn't it odd how some memories are seared into the recesses of the brain to remain there forever. My mother was a sweet and fine "Mama" and I loved her dearly. I think she regretted the perm caper as much as I did.
Post a Comment