Santa Clarita Woman, 78, Asked To Enlist As Marine
(AP) SAUGUS, Calif. Sonia Goldstein was flattered by the nice recruiting letter asking her to consider becoming one of "the few, the proud."
But at age 78, she thinks she may be just a little old to enlist in the Marine Corps.
The letter told her the corps could use her unique language skills, but also warned that life as a Marine would test her physical and mental abilities.
Goldstein says she'll do whatever she can for her country, but this is kind of stretching it
The Marines ordinarily recruit people 18 to 27, says Major Joseph Kloppel, a Corps spokesman. He says the letter must have been sent by mistake.
(© 2006 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
8 comments:
Let's go, Chancy! Tough old birds like us might be the USA's secret weapon!!
(At least we'll keep on on writing---and at our age that gets attention!)
Best love,
lucyd
Hey Lucy !!!!! I thought about us when I posted this about the Marines wanting "THE OLD. THE PROUD" ;)
But NOW I am afraid to go to my mailbox........
You and Lucy. . . too much! When I read it, I never thought of myself as getting a recruitment letter, but I am not letting the two of you have all the fun. So if you decide to enlist let me know. We could be the Three Marinekeeters or something equally silly.
Oops, didn't mean to change identity on you. So I will make ammends. Maybe, Mari is my new marine name.
Hooray Lucy!!! We have another "volunteer"
Yayyy Chancy, Maria and Lucy!!
I love the 3 Marineketeers---the Old---The Proud. That is so cool. And we are sooo cute, and smart and sassy and, if need be sneaky and tough and loyal and........
Only if the Marines don't force us to go to bot camp. No way!!!!!
I actually think that the experience of age can be very valuable in a war. Who would suspect a granny if she could speak the language and eavesdrop at appropriate places?
Post a Comment