Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Weather and reading and aging

Today is so warm you would think it is spring time.
No way.

It is mid Decembber and almost too warm. Shirt sleeve weather. Temps hold at almost 70.

When this unseasonal warmth happens usually what follows in about a week is bitter cold shivering days.

Also:

I am reading "A Troubled Man" by Henning Mankell.

This mystery takes place in Sweden where Mankell himself lives.

The story revolves around detective, Kurt Wallander,who works in the police station in the small Swedish town of Ystad.

Wallander is just past his 60th birthday and he keeps brooding about his own aging and forgetfulness. Wallander is investigaing the disappearance of his daughters prospective father and mother in law . The daughter has recently given birth to a baby girl, Klara, who is Wallander's first grandchild.
.

From Amazon:

"I've enjoyed the Kurt Wallander series of books for many years, and have read as Kurt went from a young patrolman to, now, a 60 year old man with various illnesses. Being older than that myself, I can sympathize with him over his debilitations, and his fear of looming death. These things are all part of this excellent book.***

The plot concerns the future in-laws of his daughter Linda, who both disappear, apparently without any particular reason. Even though the disappearances are not within his police jurisdiction, because of the family ties Kurt gets involved in trying to find them, and what happened and why."


***(I will be celebration my 82nd birthday this Saturday, December 17th, so I too can understand Kurt Wallander's thoughts on aging.) ;)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chancy--I hope that you have a wonderful day, tomorrow, followed by many more just as wonderful. Happy birthday!
Cop Car

Anonymous said...

Chancy--Can you hear me singing the Birthday Song?
Cop Car

Chancy said...

Oh yes I hear you Cop Car..And Thanks

Joy Des Jardins said...

Janet...Happy Belated Birthday dear friend. I hope you had a wonderful day yesterday. Cheers to you! ~Joy xo

kenju said...

I certainly hope that your birthday was a good one, Chancy, and I'm sorry that I missed withing it for you on that very day!