Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Down Memory Lane

Recently I have been reminiscing about my childhood. I think this was spurred by an old movie video I bought at our library branch's book sale. "Bright Eyes " with Shirley Temple, filmed in 1934.

I bought it so the grandchildren could watch it when they come over. The littlest one ,M, who is 9, reminds me of Shirley Temple. Same blonde curls and dimpled smile. I love and adore M,but when I was little I detested Shirley Temple. My hair was brown, stick straight, and cut in a Buster Brown hair style with bangs. I always wanted Shirley's curls. I wished and wished for blonde curls.

Once when I was about 6 the merchants in Athens had a "Shirley Temple look alike contest on the stage of the Palace Theater. My mother "curled" my hair with a curling iron and topped my "curls" off with a bow ribbon.I competed and lost. A tiny 3 year old girl with "stick straight brown hair" won the prize which was a new outfit.

Not long after that, my mother let her beauty parlor talk her into bringing me in for a "Permanent Wave." Now don't think of rollers, end papers and a solution. That is a "cold wave" and had not been invented yet. Think of a machine with wires and clamps,resembling an electric chair or some invader from outer space with tentacles. The wires and clamps were attached to my head-hair and the juice was turned on. I remember the smell of sizzling hair.

Boy, was I scared. Finally the ordeal was over. When I looked in the mirror I started crying. My hair had turned into a frizzy, scary steel wool mess.

I managed to "live" until I had had enough haircuts to get rid of the mess.

I never had another perm until the "Toni Home Perms" (cold wave)
came out and my girlfriends and I curled each other's hair.

Now, after all these years, my hair has decided to curl on its own. I suppose it is the texture of the grey hair that lives underneath all the sandy blond "Miss Clairol" I get now at the beauty salon.

Wait long enough and wishes can come true......:)


PS: This Thursday I have an appointment for a "body wave" which is what they call perms now. It is not that I am still desperate for curls at my "advanced age." My hair,especially on top has thinned and will do nothing but lay flat.

Wish me luck.:)

10 comments:

Tabor said...

You will be lovely no matter what happens to your hair because you beauty shines out of your eyes.

homeinarizona said...

Now, I'm not sure I want you to have a "body wave". Sounds weird to me.

Darlene said...

You could have been writing this for me. I, too, suffered the torture of the permanent wave machine and ended up with over processed frizz. I also shared your desire to look like Shirley Temple; didn't every little girl of our generation?

I didn't even get a Shirley Temple doll (which I coveted) and had to settle for the paper dolls. Shirley Temple was everywhere and it's no wonder we all wanted to be like her.

kenju said...

I remember seeing those old machines when I was a small child. Thank the Lord I never had one!
Margaret O'Brien was my favorite child star and I wanted to be here in the worst way!

millie garfield said...

I had one of those terrible permanent waves too. I'll never forget how painful it was and then I had to suffer with fizzy hair, couldn't wait to get rid of it.

In later years had another perm - I thought by that time they would have perfected "the perm." It too was horrible -

after that, never again!!

Chancy said...

Roger LOL
I have tooo many "body waves" as it is without getting more.

:)

Tabor Aw so sweet. thanks

Darlene: Yes and didn't it smell awful.

Kenju Yes Margaret O'Brien had lovely straight hair with pigtails.

Millie

I may say the same after tomorrow. lol

Chancy said...

UPDATE:

I am back from the beauty shop and all is well. Except for being a lighter blonde shade my hair looks good. The perm gave me good volumn and I hope it will help the curl stay in. The perm has a tendency to strip the hair color so in a few weeks I will be due for a color job again,

Actually it was kind of fun sitting in the chair and being pampered for an hour or two.

Sometimes pampering is good. We all need it every once in a while.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Pampering IS good Janet....we all need it once in a while whether we know it or not. I'm glad your perm turned out well. I've never had a permanent in my whole life...probably never will at this stage...but who knows.

Ginnie said...

Thanks for the update. They can do so much for hair nowadays. I like the volume without fizz look.

joared said...

I think my Mom must have been influenced by Shirley Temple 'cause I had those long red curls. Mom said she just brushed my hair around her fingers and made the curls for me. But think she also sometimes wrapped them in rags somehow for when I slept at night.

And...I was in tap dancing with three other little girls, each with a different color of hair. I still have regular contact with one of them as our friendship has endured since our births. I don't remember any of the curls or dancing, except I still recall "The Parade of the Wooden Soldiers" tune, or was it "The March...(?) and can perform the beginning steps of the dance routine.

Interesting how these things stay with us all these years, just as your hair permanent experience. Sorry it was so unpleasant for you. Your story makes me glad I didn't have to go through that.

Oh gee, years later I had the pigtails -- so I can thank Margaret O'brien for that, I guess. Had forgotten all about her.