Continuing with the theme of unusual uses for alcohol:
We had slugs that ate our hostas a few years back. At that time I was frequenting a current events chat on Yahoo. I commented about the slugs and an avid gardener from the UK gave me a plan to rid the hosta bed of slugs.
Cut a Coke can in half. Fill the half with beer. Prop the can up in a small hole in the hosta bed. The slugs crawl up to drink the beer and they get drunk and cannot crawl out. ;)
Cheers
(use cheap beer)
I wonder what other off beat uses of alcohol there are?
10 comments:
I've heard that before. I wonder if it really works.
Why waste the beer? They couldn't get out of the sticky coke either. ;-)
Carol We did try the beer in coke can and we "caught" a can full of the pests:(
Darlene Good point but it seems the slugs are attracted to the beer...the slimy sots...
I have heard this solution for years. Never needed to use it, but it must work.
I knew that -- who can afford expensive beer?
I've tried a saucer of beer and that works, too. I've also tried covering them in salt, but they just ooze out and crawl off, laughing all the way.
Like I said to your comment on my blog:
they die happy, but are a horror in the tin after a couple of days.
Why would you use decent alcohol for anything but to drink?
We used to do the same thing with honey and water. It worked but was an awful mess to look at !
You can put a dollop of vodka in the water to make tulips or gerberas stand up straight.
Too bad it doesn't work for men with ED!!
Kenju Lol lol I didn't know that about tulips either. Now what to put in roses to make them last longer or any other cut flower tips?
Post a Comment