Friday, November 21, 2008

Ronni's question

Ronni Bennett on her blog Time Goes by asked an interesting question yesterday about what do you have that you have used continously for a long, long time.
Here's my answer. What is yours?

My oldest in continuos use item is a Jewel Tea Casserole Dish in the Autumn Leaves pattern. I have been married 57 years this Saturday, November 22, and I have used this dish at least once a month if not more often for all those years. This week I made yummy Macaroni and Cheese in it. I also use it for other dishes like Banana Pudding which I don't make very frequently now.
This casserole dish dates back to my childhood when the Jewel Tea truck would come around during the depression years and my mother would buy various items and get points with which she could obtain "gifts" one of which was this casserole dish.
Anything I cook in this dish is charmed and turns out great. :)

12 comments:

joared said...

I'll have to think about this as nothing comes immediately to mind.

I did get a memory jog when you mentioned Jewel T as I remember that name from when I was a child, though I don't recall we ever used their products. Don't think we had anyone coming around to sell us and we didn't think to check them out on the Internet.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, Chancy. I hope there will be a glorious celebration.

I hadn't thought of a cooking pot being "charmed" before, but I think you're right: my small cast iron fry pan falls in that category. Everything I cook in it turns out beautifully.

Darlene said...

When I commented on Ronni's blog I mentioned a set of knives I purchased in 1948 the year I was married. I still use them. My other entry was my piano which pre-dated the knives by a few months.

Maithri said...

Great blog!

I've always found it amazing how attached we can become to so called 'inanimate objects'... they have a life, an energy all their own... they are etched with memories, gilded with layers of laughter and tears... and in this way they become animated with a very real grace,

Thanks for the reminder,

Soft Peace to you, Maithri

kenju said...

Congratulations on reaching that many years!! and happy anniversary.

I have a set of stainless cookware that I have been using for 46 years now. It still works great and looks good.

Anonymous said...

The only thing that comes to mind when I think of this question, is "my computer". I am not a kitchen type person.. so really not much I use in there at any time. :-)

Anonymous said...

I have a revereware dutch oven that my mother got when she was first married in 1940. I would venture to say I use it at least a couple of times a week ever since she gave it to me -

Cas
Also (in the non kitchen arena) my knitting needles and crochet hooks get quite work out and have since I was 8 years old. And that's a while ago.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!

For me it's my large aluminum pot. A long time ago I made a post entitled "If Pots Could Talk."

When I used to cook for the family, that was the pot that would turn out the best pot roast.

I have newer stainless steel pots but I only use those to cook vegies. There is nothing like aluminum!

Millie

Anonymous said...

Ah, Millie, come on! A cast iron Dutch oven makes a perfectly wonderful pot roast. But...I use aluminum, just as you do. Much lighter to bang about the kitchen with.
Cop Car

Ginnie said...

Thought provoking...I will have to give it some thought as most of my work-a-day things are pretty old.

Maria said...

I use a collander that was my mother's. It is really old, but sturdy. Bob and I love old-fashioned oatmeal and I use the collande to strain off the excess liquid before serving it.

It gives me the extra benefit of remembering my mom each time I use it.

Kay Dennison said...

I finally remembered something. I have a big paella dish (casserole) that I bought about 40 years ago. I don't use it much anymore because I live alone but I still use it about once a month.