Wednesday, June 11, 2008

High tech

We HAD to get new cell phones because my hubby lost his and we are on the same account. It was about time as ours were about 5 years old and many advances in hi tech have been made. Hubby went to the AT&T store and got 2 of the new model Nokias. He even got one with a camera phone; not that we really need that feature but most of the new ones come with camera feature.

I am the techie (lol) in our family and when he came in and we opened the boxes and got out the instructions I felt overwhelmed with all the jargon and stuff but I was giving it a game try when our 11 year old grandson came by. Hooray! He can do it with ease. (I went upstairs to take a Zanax); the techie stress of a short time of reading the instructions before he got here was grating on my nerves.

Well, in no time at all he had the cell all set up with speed dial, and all the other features, including a neat analog clock on the face of the phone.Thank heavens for our own little "Geek Squad"

This morning I was fooling around with the cell phone and becoming acquainted with it when I noticed the time on the analog clock was not right. I checked the instructions and could find no way to reset the clock.

Hubby and I went out to supper and I brought my cell phone along to show him some of the features and to show off how much I had learned during the day today

I handed the phone to him and said ""See the time is not right on this analog clock and I don't know how to reset it.I am sure when S comes back over he can fix it. I told him about the problem today"

Hubby handed the phone back to me and said. "You are looking at the clock upside down"

So much for my tech expertise.:o)

10 comments:

millie garfield said...

Funny story!!

An eleven year old - they have the know how - that's the way it is today. It's a good thing we have them around to help us with all these new gadgets.

Chancy said...

Yes Millie It sure is. I think some of them are born techies

kenju said...

Well, that gave me my last belly laugh of the day!! My grandson could probably have set the time and everything else on the phone....LOL

Ginnie said...

Cute story, Chancy. I am definitely not a "techie"....but I do have a cell phone. It's just a little $20 Tracfone but it works fine for me. I don't give my # out (except for family) and use it mainly on trips or when I get in a time bind.
My 19 year old granddaughter has a high tech pink cell phone that is NEVER OFF. It would drive me crazy!

Anonymous said...

Oh Chancy.. such a funny story. :-) You had me laughing more than once. I love this techi world.. but I can so relate to the stress and frustration that seems to come with it. It is truly amazing how the younger generation appears to have been born with some kind of techno-gene.

Anonymous said...

Aren't projects like that a challenge? It's always nice to have a kid around to bail you out. I have a cell phone - it's pretty nice, and I'm not very savvy at all.

Cas

Joared said...

Well, I guess I won't ask you what time it is.

I sure know what you mean as my 12 yr old granddaughter knows tech like your grandson. She's into text messaging, now. Think she knows more about the computer, too, 'cause her VA public school gives each student their own computer for use throughout the school year. All schools should do that.

Joy Des Jardins said...

I have to laugh Janet...but with you. I could easily see that happen to me. All the kids are so techy...thank God. I just ask my kids about any of it. I agree with Millie...they are just born with it now....they have to be.

Tabor said...

Oh this is so funny and so relevant to my life. We bought an expensive remote control for our TV and DVD, etc. and my son (30) had to set it up for us. But it did require downloading drivers from the Internet! I love that the young are patient with us, but I never saw myself in this old-foggy role when I was younger.

Anonymous said...

still giggling! This is hilarious! Loved the story!