Yesterday I took a delicious nap in the afternoon. I lay down on the small, red paisly sofa in my bedroom with my feet raised on the far end and a comfy pillow under my head; the book I am currently reading propped up on my stomach, "What Came Before He Shot Her" by Elizabeth George, an engrossing mystery that is totally unlike anything George has written before. I got half way through one chapter, rested the book on my lap and I awoke an hour later, refreshed and restored.
Do you ever nap?
The French do.
YAHOO NEWS
French health minister seeks nap study Wed Jan 31, 8:25 AM ET
The French already enjoy a 35-hour work week and generous vacation. Now the health minister wants to look into whether workers should be allowed to sleep on the job.
France launched plans this week to spend $9 million this year to improve public awareness about sleeping troubles. About one in three French people suffer from them, the ministry says.
Fifty-six percent of French complain that a poor night's sleep has affected their job performance, according to the ministry.
"Why not a nap at work? It can't be a taboo subject," Health Minister Xavier Bertrand said Monday. He called for further studies and said he would promote on-the-job naps if they prove useful.
France's state-run health insurance provider will send letters explaining the importance of good sleep. The Health Ministry's Web site offers tips on how best to get a good night's rest.
The ministry's online "Passport to Sleep" recommends cutting down on coffee, tea, colas, and athletic activity after 8 p.m., shunning TV time or working late in the evening, and listening better to the body's own sleep signals, such as yawning.
Bertrand said sleepiness causes 20 percent to 30 percent of highway accidents across France each year.
Copyright © 2007 The Associated Press
15 comments:
It's about time that all of us get back to reality. Sleeping on the job isn't any different than a 2 hour lunch. It should be all about what the person produces during the work day...not what he/she 'looks' like they produce. I am all for day centers, nursing rooms, nap rooms, massage staff, espresso machines, etc. in the workplace. People I work with waste time already and we don't have ANY of this stuff.
I think a nap is almost a necessity - but it is a habit I can break if I have to. While my business has been slow this month, I have gotten into the habit of napping almost every afternoon for 2 hours. I love it, and I hate the thought of having to give it up when I start back to work.
Just so you know...evidently Blogspot took a nap, went bananas and posted Kenju's comment 4 times so I deleted 3 of them :)
A nap is a wonderful thing, especially if I have something planned for the evening.
I am more refreshed after I have a nap then after a night's sleep.
I think the reason for that is I can get up about three time during the night and when I have a nap, it's solid sleep.
How about you?
I love naps. Naps are good. I take one whenever I can (every day, if possible). I nap in my chair, with my reading glasses and book open on my chest (Jay refers to this as "assuming the position".
I've long thought the countries "south of the border" have the right idea, shutting down their businesses for a couple hours after lunch for "siesta," then resuming business after everyone is rested.
Amazing
New Yorkers - who are lucky - have a 80 hour work week and I doubt there is much time for napping...
Guess I will go try it out and see what it is like :)
I love napping! And yes, the French minister of health mentioned napping and driving, but you know I wouldn't make too much of this.
We are less than 100 days from presidential election day, so everyone's ready to swear they'll do all sorts of things if you elect them.
I am quite skeptical about the whole thing
Since I retired 18 years ago, an afternoon nap has become indispensable for me. I don't know how I ever functioned in previous years without a daily nap. Of course, I wasn't an old fart then.
I am afraid I am one of those who often has a poor night of sleep. Often, come midday.. there is little that I would like more than a comfy hour long nap. :-)
I am afraid I am one of those who often has a poor night of sleep. Often, come midday.. there is little that I would like more than a comfy hour long nap. :-)
I have one recliner that I have to shun if I don't want to nap. It never fails to lull me to sleep and I try not to do it because it means I'll be up half the night. A boring book will put me to sleep, too.
I'm all in favor of napping. When I retired, I told myself I'd walk at least 30 minutes a day and have a 30 minute nap. So far, one out of two is working out!
I think naps are great, but I can never seem to do it. It's not like my daily schedule is so busy, but for some reason I just never think to just lie down and take a nap. Maybe I need to just force the issue...like my exercise bike.
I love a twenty minute nap right after lunch. I miss my little dog that liked to nap with me. It is a little like a small child without its teddy bear. I find it more difficult now to fall asleep.
Post a Comment