The English Language
I love English...can you read the following
sentences correctly the first time?
1) The bandage was wound around the wound.
2) The farm was used to produce produce.
3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4) We must polish the Polish furniture.
5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to
present the present.
8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum
9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10) I did not object to the object.
11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
13) They were too close to the door to close it
14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.
15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
18) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
19) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
20) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
9 comments:
My tongue gets twisted at the best of times. No wonder people find English so difficult to learn.
As a former English teacher, I can tell you that those are difficult. I am passing them on to my teacher friends
I love words and your list of duplicates is wonderful. Can you imagine trying to learn English if it weren't our native tongue? Here's one for you: "I loved to read your list and read it aloud to my friend."
Ginnie...Yours is a great addition to the list, thanks
It is no wonder that foreigners think English is hard to learn!
Like Ginnie and Kenju I keep thinking of all the immigrants and others who are trying to learn our expanding language!
I must say, we really do have some quirkly language things going on. I'm sure we've befuddled many who try to learn our language. Loved this list Chancy.
Every ESL teacher should offer these to their students when they get to higher level language levels along with our idioms.
Well written article.
Post a Comment