I must apologize for being AWOL for so long recently. No excuse except a bad case of the blahs, and the IPHONE takes too much of my time. The Iphone is a fun toy. I don't use it much for the telephone function. I send and receive more text messages with my grandchildren and adult children than phone calls. I also have become addicted to "Words With Friends" the game. Remember that is the game that Alec Baldwin refused to turn off on the airplane. He got kicked off the plane for being such a jerk. :)
This week I have been very busy keeping our daughter's 3 dogs while daughter,SIL and the 2 grands go on spring break to Florida. Sweet dogs but with extra plus Buddy that makes 4 and a handful.
Plus this: Saturday hubby and I were getting ready to go out to dinner with friends. I was dressed already so I came downstairs to put the leash on Bella, one of the little doggies. As I bent over' Bella, a small Havanese, gave a hard jerk and I toppled over onto the floor, As I went down I fell into a small rigid plastic trash can which broke leaving a jagged edge and several pieces, My earlobe was cut and also several small cuts , one on my face and several on my neck. Sam, my hubby rushed down from upstairs when he heard the ruckus and me yelling for help.
I was bleeding but not real badly. The worst part was I couldn't get up. For a while it has been difficult for me to get up from a prone position flat on the floor. It took about 30 minutes, trying various lifting positions for me to get up. The fall and the stress of trying to get up knocked the wind out of my sails. I am fortunate I was not hurt worse.
I have discussed my tendency to fall with my doctor. He just says it is part of the"aging process" and to try exercise to build up strength in my hips and legs.
Getting old is "for the birds" is WHAT I SAY.... <(:O--< Yikes!! --- %&&%%**
Anyway.....
Here's wishing you an early "Happy St Patrick's Day.
And may the Luck of the Irish be with you ...and with me :)
9 comments:
Oh my!!! I was wondering where you were!!! Please be careful. Since I live alone, I worry about such things a lot. God bless Sam for his efforts.
Glad you over the blahs, or I hope you are. You are indeed fortunate you didn't experience more serious consequences from your fall. Sorry you had what injuries you did.
My husband fell twice and couldn't get up without assistance. In one instance a person was able to help him. In the other, I got a ladder so he could get leverage to pull himself up with effort, several tries and my providing some boost. Important the helper person doesn't strain their back trying to help.
I've read Tai Chi exercises can help with maintaining balance. Also, Physical Therapy here in hospital satellite facility has a machine person can stand on that therapists use for balance strengthening. Check with your P.T.s to see if they can offer that intervention, then get physician's order for P.T. to do it.
Since you fell, seems to me you might be a good candidate to determine if P.T. will help. You may want to check to see if your Medicare and/or supplemental ins, (if you have that) will cover the therapy.
No fast sudden movements, rising or turning. -:)
I'm so sorry to hear about the fall. I have to take it slow when trying to get up from the floor, and if I fell and got injured, it might be a long while before I could manage to get up. Please take care, Chancy!
Thanks for all your kind comments. The doggies leave tomorrow evening so we should be back to normal then. I am being extremely careful. I will look into the PT.
Thanks
Oh Janet...I'm relieved to see you are okay. There's no explanation for the crazy accidents we all encounter, is there? I've often said that these "Golden Years" are often tarnished. I'm glad Sam was nearby to come and help you. As far as the blahs....I've felt the same way lately. I think that definitely contributes to the tarnished part. Take care and heal quickly... ~Joy xo
P.S. Getting up from the floor is no walk-in-the-park for me either...Yikes!
Hope you are recovered and ready to go again. Falling over is no fun, I've done a lot of it myself, usually when I've been in a hurry and wasn't looking where I was going.
Did you manage to get to dinner?
Lol Friko I missed dinner that night Our friends were most understanding.
I think I had a piece of toast.
:)
Falling is really scary. I remember when it was something I couldn't really imagine. Aging brings the image into uncomfortably clear focus!
I was going to suggest Tai Chi, and I notice that joared has already mentioned it. It is good for you in so many ways, not just balance.
And very gentle or restorative yoga is excellent as well. I do both tai chi and yoga, but I step more carefully than I did a few years ago.
Be careful next time. It's good that you're okay now. I have to read your blog again cause I thought it was Bella who caused you pain.
Post a Comment