Thursday, June 04, 2009

Possessions

Today as I was reading the New York Times I ran across an interesting question:If you had to leave your home in a big hurry what one item would you choose to save. Or stated another way, what one possession do you love most of all ?

As I thought about all the "stuff" we have accumulated in almost 58 years of marriage in over six different houses, I wondered what one thing is most precious to me.

Not any of the books or knickknacks. Paintings collected over the years. Jewelry. Computers. Furniture. Silverware. Etc etc. It is all just stuff.

The one thing I would grab on my way out in a hurry would be:

The small, black and white photograph of my mother that sits in a silver frame on a bookshelf in my living room. It is a formal studio portrait type popular back then. She sits in a decorative wooden chair. There is a painted landscape background. She is pictured in a white dress, white stockings, her dark hair pulled back in a bun. Her own mother, a farmer's wife but an accomplished seamstress, made this dress with fine tucks adorning the bodice.

The date of the photograph would be about 1915 or so. At this time my mother would have been about 22 years old and teaching school in a one room schoolhouse in rural Georgia near Madison, Georgia. She was single, having not yet met her future husband, my father.

Many times since she died at age 91, I touched this photograph and blew her a kiss saying "Goodnight Mother"

I wish I had just an hour or two to sit down with her again and tell her I understand so much of what she went through as she aged. Now that I am approaching age 80, I better understand the aches and pains; the joys and trails of enduring to old age she talked about back then.

What would you choose to save. What one material possession do you love most?

10 comments:

kenju said...

I'd have to say all my photos. Several years ago, my albums were all falling apart and I took the photos out and put them into boxes. I think I would just grab as many of those boxes as I could.

Darlene said...

If I could keep mu wits about me I would take the portrait of my daughter that was painted when she was sixteen.

cassie-b said...

Pictures - I have a thumb drive hooked into my computer and all my photos are on it. I'd try to grab that with one hand and of course, Smokey Joe, my cat with the other.

Friko said...

The scraper, the dog and my external hard drive..... ....,I think. I have no idea really, what I would grab. My memories are in my head; apart from that, hm?
Thanks for putting the thought into my head.
All the same, it'd be better if it never happened.

Joy Des Jardins said...

I have to agree Chancy....all my photos...as many as I could take; and all my important papers.

Eeek, I'm getting the shakes just thinking about it....

Kay Dennison said...

I'd grab my purse and some photos -- especially the ones I just got from my trip.

Ginnie said...

I have a fire-proof lock box that holds all my essentials...so I'd grab the key and that. I've posted most of my favorite photos on my blog since 2006 so I could pull those back up later. The rest is just "stuff".

Suzz said...

Yikes, what a question. You've given me something to think about. Right now, I just hope I'm fully dressed and driving -- not running barefoot (and other bare parts) down the street!

Maria said...

My Memory Books, I think. Family photos are so important to me.

joared said...

I still want to share thoughts with my Mom and guess I always will. Think I'd put on shoes while grabbing personal papers and purse. Family have copies of most important pictures so I could get copies.