Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Blogs and Me

Thinking back over the last 2 years or so, I was recently reminiscing about how I first became acquainted with blogs and how I decided to start one of my own.
Since this is a retrospective, here is my first blog post:

JUNE 22,2005

"It seems every "great name I thought up and tried to get on "Blogger" was already taken so I just picked up a copy of the magazine"Southern Living" and turned a few pages and came up with "DriftWood Inspiration" so there is no particular significance to the name.

"Mainly this blog will be about my thoughts on living to age 75 and still staying active, alert and interested in many things. I came to the computer and the internet at age 68 and have taken to this "new" medium like a duck takes to water. I even relearned to type after a 50 year hiatus. It seems typing is stored in the brain and you never forget. At first it was hunt and peck but then I forced myself to try to remember where my fingers went on the keyboard and then started to type without looking at the keys. The many hours I spent in chat helped my typing tremendously but after a few years I tired of chat and moved on to games, Black Jack, Texas Hold'em Poker, Scrabble, and then Blogs."

----------------------------------------------------


The first time I heard the word blog of course I had no clue that it really meant web log, shortened to blog. I first read about blogs in the "New York Times" and I really cannot recall which was the first blog I visited but I do know that Ronni Bennett's "Time Goes By" was one of the first blogs that I visited regularly. I usually start my day with Ronni and I always get food for thought from her excellent posts.

Many days I mosey on over to "Daily Kos" a progressive political blog with much user participation. I do not always agree with DK but it makes me think and provides a good way to become informed about liberal politics and is useful and easy to comment on the many diaries posted there. If one is so inclined, after registering, you may post your own thoughts there in diary form. The format on DK is good and it is an interesting, easy to use site



I also try to stop by many of the blog links that Ronni has listed on her site, including "Golden Lucy's Spiral Notebook", "Octogenarian", "Build This House"
"Pure Land Mountain" and many others which are too numerous to list them all. Many times I just hit the highlights of the blogs on my favorites list and sometimes stop to comment.

Blogging underscores the fact that it's "A Big Wide Wonderful World" out there with Robert Brady in Japan, Claude in Paris, Savtadotty in Tel Aviv, Israel, Colleen in Canada and blog friends all across the US.



When I sit down at the computer to write or read blogs I feel as If I have entered a sacred space of silence that is uniquely mine. Concerns and worries melt away as I write on my blog or savor the thoughts of other bloggers or read interesting site throughout the Internet.

Ronni Bennett wrote this in her blog post on "Third Age.com"

"One of the fears everyone has about getting older is that our mental sharpness will decline. The "Eide Neurolearning Blog" reports that blogging has proved to be an excellent antidote:

Blogs can promote critical and analytical thinking
Blogging can be a powerful promoter of creative, intuitive, and associational thinking
Blogging is a powerful medium for increasing access and exposure to quality information."

Ronni summed it up this way:

"Blogging combines the best of solitary reflection and social interaction

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chancy….

Enjoyed your post. Always interesting to read how someone got started. Especially us elderbloggers whose generation has not always invited the computer to be a part of their life. I continue to believe that it can be a blessing in disguise when it come to mental health and keeping our minds active.

And I am always curious as to what was behind someone’s choice of blog names . Sometimes it is obvious – other times not. Thanks for sharing.

Chancy said...

Alan

Thank you for your thoughtful comment.

It is a treat to get an occasional comment since that reinforces the belief that we are involved in sharing thoughts and ideas with others.

Suzz said...

It is always a special treat to visit your blog. You post the most amazing and interesting information and I feel like I have just had a very pleasant visit with a good friend. Thank you so much for your inspiration.

Chancy said...

Suzz - Such a nice compliment. Thank you

goldenlucyd said...

Synchronicity, Chancy!
Yesterday I wrote a post I entitled
"Thoughts on a Gloomy Day." It was pretty much a copy of this post. Lucy comes in second---again. We listed so many of the exact same sites and reasons for blogging. It was fun discovering you'd been thinking the same thing.

It's wonderful to be an age when sitting for hours in front of the computer isn't considered a waste of time. I certainly feel being connected to others has kept me more mentally sharp than if I'd just be reading or doing crossword puzzles.
Yes, let's Blog On! sister!

kenju said...

I agree!!

Tabor said...

You never now how you may touch a life by what you say. Blogging is a very different form of communication.

Robert Brady said...

Another way to keep your mind sharp: keep a good book of chess problems in the bathroom.

Chancy said...

Thanks Robert, but since I don't play chess perhaps I could get my 9 year old grandson who does play to teach me: say perhaps in the den?

kenju said...

Chancy, thanks for all the good advice on my neighborhood problem. I plan to print my post (along with the comments) and take it to the next meeting. That should stir them up a little!

Anonymous said...

Your post had me reflect on when I started blogging.. almost a year ago. I never tire of the wonderful reads and the amazing people I have come to know through this medium.

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You may , probably very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://ekamosepi.envy.nu/vaqazeg.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money