Thursday, December 15, 2005

Me

I am from the red clay earth of Georgia.
I am from the ante- bellum columns lining the porches of homes along Prince Avenue in Athens
I am from the lush green magnolias in those front yards.
I am from rice pudding, sweet potato pies and coca cola in glass bottles.
I am from roller skates on octagonal stones in sidewalks.
I am from picture shows at the Palace and Strand theaters.
I am from chinaberry trees, wisteria, kittens and my dog Mickey who sat on the front steps and looked at the stars with me.
I am from barefoot summer days, Chase Street School recess on the swings.
I am from my mothers’ cool hands soothing me whenever I was sick or hurt.
I am now from the delight in my little grandchildren’s eyes when they rush in and hug me tight.

No comments: