Saturday, August 29, 2009

Rest Well Teddy




Well, they laid Senator Ted Kennedy to rest.

The rainy day scene outside the old Mission Church in Boston as the mourners arrived, dressed in black and sheltered with almost identical large black umbrellas reminded me of one of my favorite French paintings of a rain scene, circa 1877 in Paris.

Painted by Gustave Caillebotte the people in this painting are walking down a cobblestone street in a fashionable section of Paris. Many are dressed all in black and they all carry large black umbrellas to protect them from the rain. The cobblestones glisten with light as the rain seems to be stopping.

http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/artwork/20684

I wondered as I watched the crowds arriving at the Kennedy funeral "how did the hundreds of mourners, mostly dressed in black, know to carry almost identical large black umbrellas.
"Who got the memo out) ;)"

The events of the day went almost perfectly until the end when darkness descended over Arlington National Cemetery as the final minutes of the graveside service were plunged into almost total darkness.

The day's services and the transport from Boston to Washington D.C.had run long past schedule as night fell on the longest day. And yet, it was hauntingly lovely and powerful when the lone trumpeter outlined darkly against the sky played taps; the lighted Robert E Lee Mansion in the background.

The poignant voices of four of Ted's young grandchildren saying good bye to "Grampa" at the grave site was touching.

Now I have watched all 3 Kennedy brothers funerals. Remember Jack's sad cortege with the riderless white horse down Pennsylvania Ave. John John and Caroline.Bobby,Ted and Jackie.

But despite times of self destructive behavior in the ensuing years, Ted endured. He was a father figure for the 10 young Kennedy children who were lest fatherless after the murders of his two remaining brothers.


Teddy survived his brain tumor for almost fifteen months and he was mercifully given time to prepare for a "good ending."

Every detail of this day and last night's wake was planned by Teddy Kennedy himself and carried out with grace and dignity by his widow Victoria Reggie Kennedy.

SMOOTH SAILING TEDDY
AND
REST WELL.

9 comments:

millie garfield said...

Thank you for a beautiful post about Teddy.

Tying in the painting with what took place in Boston today was just brilliant.

Not only were the people dressed in black with their black umbrellas the streets had cobblestones just like many streets in Boston.

Perfect!

Chancy said...

Thanks Millie.
The first time I saw that painting was many, many years ago at the Art Institute of Chicago and I was so taken aback with it. So large a painting,I felt I could step into it and be transported to another realm.

Tabor said...

He accomplished so much in spite of the many health challenges he and his family faced. His death is a great loss to our country.

cassie-b said...

nice post

Friko said...

Teddy Kennedy was remembered here too; he meant something to people in other nations across the ocean.
The last of the great Kennedys!

Chancy said...

Thanks Friko.
The last of a great dynasty I fear.

Ginnie said...

Amen to all you've written. He will be greatly missed. I pray that Health Insurance for all of us becomes a reality and I hate that he won't be here to see it.

joared said...

Lovely post about the sad occasion. Having worked with patients who had the type brain tumor he had I knew from when I first heard of his diagnosis time was limited. I wish it could have been otherwise.

Chancy said...

I found out after I had posted this that the funeral home provided all the large black umbrellas. Nice touch.