Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Old Time Radio and TV

Suzzwords
Laughter is one of the best parts of life.It's what makes the hard parts easier to endure.
Friday, August 14, 2009

Suzz at Suzzwords struck a cord of memory with her post about an old time local radio show "Daddy Rabbit" I did not remember that show but I did remember this one:


MY MEMORY

I don't remember Daddy Rabbitt. But DO I remember Miss Debbie. She was a TV local children's show hostess in the Atlanta market. My four old daughter watched Miss Debbie everyday and was especially thrilled when Miss D looked in her magic mirror and, looking straight at the camera said....I see little Mary and Sammy and Joyce and Betty.

Oh how Jan ,my little girl, yearned for Miss D to speak directly to her thru the "magic mirror.

Well what do you know. Hubby and I went to a New Year's Eve party at a business associate's house. Lo and behold who should be there but Miss Debbie in PERSON. Nice attractive gal.

Early in the evening I spoke with Debbie and asked her to look for Jan in the "magic mirror "on tomorrow's show. she graciously said yes she would.

A good time was had by all.

Around eleven pm we missed Miss Debbie and we heard crying and moaning in the kitchen.There sat MISS DEBBIE DRUNK AS A SKUNK and slobbering all over her date.

I told hubby on the way home Miss Debbie won't even make it to her show tomorrow she will be so hung over.

The next morning we. (Jan, hubby and I) turned on the TV to Miss Debbie. There she was chipper, and perky and looking great as she held up her Magic Mirror and said

"I see JAN."


I guess"The show must go on"

9 comments:

Tabor said...

I remember a friend visiting her daughter who was a newly hired produced for an Atlanta network news show. She said that the new lady was sitting all sad and somber at the news desk and the minute they went live she turned into a very friendly perky Patty! It is all acting.

Suzz said...

Thanks for the spotlight, Chancy. Your memories of Miss Debbie brought back my memories of a local children’s’ TV show that featured “Good Bees” and “Do Bees.” It was so popular that a grape juice concoction for kids was labeled “DoBee Juice.” One summer weekend, during a neighborhood yard party, we ran out of mixer and one of the parents ran home and came back with the only mixer he could find. Yup, his daughter’s DoBee Juice. The next morning as we adults finally drug ourselves out of bed, most of us were temporarily horrified at our reflections in the mirror until we remembered our hangovers were of our own doing, but our purple tongues were the result of that grape DoBee Juice mixer!

Chancy said...

Suzz
A "purple DooBee hangover"
Ouch !!!

kenju said...

I remember a TV personality on "Ding Dong School" doing the same thing when I was young.Not getting drunk, but looking into the mirror and seeing kids. I always wanted her to say my name, too.

Ginnie said...

Oh, yes...all is not as the publicity people would like us to believe. I remember years ago when I was working in NY City and saw Merv Griffin in much the same state. He was quite young then and was able to get his life in order and ... you know the rest.

Col said...

Oh that is such a great story. I too remember a similar kids show where the hostess looked through the mirror and called out the children's names. I just don't remember the name of the show or the name of the hostess. I wonder if it was the same Miss Debbie.

Anonymous said...

When our kids were young, there was a local show put on by a futuristic "Captain Midnight" - mylar "space suit" and all. Our daughters loved his show and were thrilled to meet him in person at a Jaycee carnival.

A few years later, Hunky Husband went in for a lower GI exam which required the usual prep and an over-night stay in the hospital before the procedure. As HH was returning to his room (from whence, I know not) that evening, he met "Captain Midnight" in the hallway - obviously having a similar procedure done the following day. "Captain Midnight" was in a most undignified condition that I shan't describe further. HH said that he never again thought of TV personalities as being super-human. *laughing all the way*
Cop Car

joared said...

Funny story! Debbie must have worked some magic with her magic mirror with a miraculous antidote, or maybe she had "a hair of the dog that bit her" -- isn't that the expression??? Something like that.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Yep, I remember Ding Dong School doing the same thing...here in Chicago and one morning she actually looked through her mirror and said "Romper Stomper Bomper Boo, Tell Me, Tell Me, Tell Me Do. Tell Me Magic Mirror, Tell Me Today...Did all of my friends have fun at play? I see, Jenna and Julie and Jory and....." I had sent their names in to be read by Miss (I don't remember right now) on Romper Room. It had Do Bees too. It was a lot like Ding Dong School...but local.

Oh Janet, thanks for comment on my latest post. I sent an e-mail to your Yahoo and your other address...and sure enough the Yahoo one came back again...so make sure you check your other account. Hugs, Joy