Monday, February 26, 2007

Oscar night-----or 24 hours...on and on and on.

For lack of anything better to do I watched most of the way too long as usual Academy Awards show last night and I need to get something off my chest about Ellen Degeneres and her ageism remarks about Dame Judi Dench.

Degeneres said that Dench could not attend the awards in person as she is
"In England getting a knee operation. No that's not right she is getting her eyes done."

Later Degeneres said
"I made a mistake. Judi Dench is not getting her eyes done. She is getting a boob job."

Dame Judi Dench is about 72 years old and is a lovely, talented person who does not try to look like a much younger woman.


Degeneres remarks were in poor taste; disgusting and not the least bit humorous.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you completely and ellen has lost a fan!!!!!

A Judi Dench Fan

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. I am a Judy Dench fan and find Ellen's remarks ageist and in poor taste

Endment said...

Am I mistaken or does it seem to you that the media thinks anyone over 50 is in poor taste?

Kudos to Judy Dench

I didn't watch the Oscars - guess why

kenju said...

Yes, poor taste, but not taken too seriously by me. I have no doubt that had Judi been there, she would have laughed heartily, and taken the remarks for what they were - a joke.

Tabor said...

I do not watch the Oscars anymore and haven't for years. These people give themselves way too may awards shows. They are neither teachers nor brain surgeons and get my money and time at the movies...that is enough for them.

Joy Des Jardins said...

I think Ellen made a poor judement in humor there; but I didn't take her too seriously...that's her. I truly think she'd feel badly if she knew she offended some people. Maybe she's already gotten some flap about it. I'm a Judy Dench fan too...she's terrific.

Suzz said...

I've been a Judi Dench fan since watching her on the British comedy "As Time Goes By" with Geoffrey Palmer. She is a highly respected actress with many credits to her name. Shame on Ellen for her cheap shots.

Anonymous said...

I too was confused and disappointed by Degeneres's remarks. I tried to tell myself it was just rougher than usual kidding, but my husband, who is pretty rough himself, and a psychologist, thought that couldn't explain it, and that Degeneres must be pissed at Dench about something. Has anyone blamed Dench for portraying a twisted, repressed lesbian in "Notes on a Scandal"??

I too think losing to 62 year-old knock-out Helen Mirren is rough enough. (Notice how hurt Peter O'Toole looked over not winning? Very unfortunate.) To be teased more roughly than anyone else, while Mirren is serenaded as hot by Jack Black and co., is too much, and disrespectful to older women. Totally surprising from Ellen.

Anonymous said...

By the way, lest it be assumed that only older people were offended on Dench's behalf, I'm in my late thirties and I understand that older people and older women in particular face a lot of ageism. My partner is older than myself, which may have sensitized me to this issue, but I think I would always be offended when anyone in an underdog position is treated callously. I can only assume Ellen would regret how her remarks came across.

Anonymous said...

I am a fan of both Ellen and Judi Dench. I too thought the comments where bordering on being rude and was surprised to hear Ellen say them.

I have never understood why comedians feel that making fun of any person is humerous but they all seem to do it.

Anonymous said...

I have thought that Ellen is unique in the positivity of her comedy. That--and the incongruity of an openly gay woman mocking a woman of such stature and accomplishment--was what made her jokes so surprising, and disappointing.